Arsenal host Zurich at Emirates Stadium in their final Group A match in 2022-23 UEFA Europa League.
Victory would see Arsenal finish top of Group A and receive a bye to the Round of 16, whereas Zurich know that a win could see them qualify for the Europa Conference League knockouts if Bodø/Glimt lose elsewhere.
Bukayo Saka is a doubt for Arsenal after he suffered knocks to his foot and ankle in Sunday’s Premier League win against Nottingham Forest.
Matt Turner (groin) and Oleksandr Zinchenko (muscle) are doubtful but Emile Smith Rowe (groin) and Mohamed Elneny (hamstring) remain absent.
Zurich could be without Nikola Katic due to an unspecified injury.
Mirlind Kryeziu, Ilan Sauter, Blerim Dzemaili, Donis Avdijaj and Miguel Reichmuth are all ruled out through injury.
- Arsenal have won their only previous meeting against Zurich, which came in a 2-1 away victory in September 2022.
- Zurich are visiting the Emirates Stadium for the very first time in all UEFA competitions.
- Arsenal are yet to lose at home to Swiss opposition in all UEFA competitions (W3).
- Arsenal are looking to avoid suffering consecutive defeats in Group Stage of any UEFA competition for first time since September 2015.
- Four of Zurich’s five goals in this group have been scored after half-time.
Having suffered a difficult defeat against PSV Eindhoven last week, Arsenal bounced back with a ruthless domestic home win over Nottingham Forest on Sunday where they didn’t put much wrong aside from sloppy finishing in the first-half which was swiftly corrected after half-time.
Add in the fact that they’re yet to lose at home to Swiss opposition and I feel that this match is Arsenal’s to lose, especially with a pass to the Round of 16 at stake which in turn could help ease their domestic fixture congestion.
Zurich meanwhile have endured a difficult campaign both domestically and in this UEFA competition with their defence seemingly there for the taking, although they did well to beat Bodø/Glimt last week but I just can’t see them achieving simular success if Arsenal play like they did against Forest.
Prediction: Arsenal 2-0 Zurich
Result: Arsenal 1-0 Zurich