Tottenham Hotspur welcome Eintracht Frankfurt to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in Group D of 2022-23 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would see Spurs go top if Sporting Lisbon lose to Marseille elsewhere, whilst Eintracht Frankfurt likewise will too be looking to go top of the group with a win coupled with defeat for Sporting.
Harry Kane is a slight doubt for Tottenham after he suffered an ankle injury in Saturday’s Premier League win at Brighton.
Emerson Royal is available for selection because his suspension only applies to domestic competitions.
Japhet Tanganga (knock), Dejan Kulusevski (muscle) and Lucas Moura (tendon) remain absent.
Eintracht Frankfurt could again be without Mario Gotze as he continues to recover from an ankle injury.
Kristijan Jakic (hip) is set to be available for selection but Jerome Onguene (groin), Almamy Toure (muscle) and Aurelio Buta (knee) remain ruled out.
- Tottenham are unbeaten in two of three previous meetings against Eintracht Frankfurt in all UEFA competitions (W1, D1, L1).
- Eintracht Frankfurt lost their only previous away match against Spurs by 2-0 result in March 1982, albeit at Tottenham’s old stadium – White Hart Lane.
- Spurs have kept two clean sheets in their three previous meetings against Eintracht Frankfurt in all UEFA competitions.
- Tottenham have won two of their last five home matches against German opposition in Champions League (W2, L3).
- Eintracht Frankfurt are unbeaten in three of six previous away matches against English opposition in all UEFA competitions (W2, D1, L3), yet have failed to keep a single clean sheet.
Having played their last three matches in all competitions on the road with contrastable results, Tottenham definitely will be happy to be back on home soil after scraping a deserved win at Brighton, yet their open play attack does remain fairly toothless in the end product.
Eintracht Frankfurt therefore surely will know that Spurs are be there for the taking if they can defend well but also clinically convert their own chances, whilst displaying more urgency in attacking intensity than they did at home.
Neither team though have the best home or away form respectively against clubs from one another’s nation nor against each other, so I do expect another tough battle but if Tottenham play as well as they’ve done at home this season then they should edge this.
Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Eintracht Frankfurt
Result: Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 Eintracht Frankfurt