Lyon welcome Rangers to Parc Olympique Lyonnais in a dead-rubber concluding Group A clash in 2021-22 UEFA Europa League.
Lyon are already through as Group A winners ahead of Rangers in second-place which means that both teams are playing for pride here.
Leo Dubois is a doubt for Lyon as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury he suffered on international duty last month for France.
Jason Denayer, Sinaly Diomande (ankle), Lenny Pintor and Jeff Reine-Adelaide (both knee) are ruled out.
Rangers could rest Alfredo Morelos and Fashion Sakala with the pair one booking away from an one match ban.
Leon Balogun (knock) is a doubt but Filip Helander (knee) and Nnamdi Ofoborh (illness) remain ruled out indefinitely.
- Lyon have won two of three previous meetings against Rangers in all competitions (W2, L1).
- Rangers won their only previous away visit to Lyon in all competitions, which came in a 3-0 win in October 2007 in 07-08 Champions League Group Stage.
- Six of Lyon’s 15 goals in this group were scored by Karl Toko Ekambi, with four of his goals coming after half-time.
- Rangers have failed to keep a disciplinary clean sheet in their last 16 European matches dating back to November 2020, when they drew 3-3 at Benfica.
- This is the first match involving Lyon and Rangers to be refereed by Radu Petrescu.
After thrashing Brondby a fortnight ago despite having already secured knockout qualification and being able to rest key player, Lyon clearly aren’t letting their European momentum slip but have kept just two clean sheets in their last seven matches in all competitions.
Rangers therefore should be able to come here and have a decent fist at the win if they’re at their best but have also secured qualification, so I am expecting some key players like Morelos and Kemar Roofe to be rested ready for a packed festive schedule.
This game therefore is either going to be an all out attacking battle or bit of a quiet clash but Lyon do look unstoppable in Europe.
Prediction: Lyon 2-1 Rangers
Result: Lyon 1-1 Rangers