Moldova look to cause a surprise as they welcome Scotland to Zimbru Stadium in Group F of UEFA Qualifying for 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Victory would see Moldova stay bottom of Group F but potentially move level on points with Faroe Islands, whereas Scotland will seal the play-off spot with a win regardless of what Israel do elsewhere.
Moldova have no fresh injury concerns to report as manager, Roberto Bordin has no fresh injury concerns to report.
Scotland will be without Grant Hanley after the Norwich defender withdrew from the squad as he recovers from a groin injury.
Ryan Fraser meanwhile has pulled out of the squad with a calf injury yet was seen in training at Newcastle United, where his former Bournemouth manager – Eddie Howe has recently been named as the new Head Coach.
- Moldova are winless in three previous meetings against Scotland in FIFA World Cup Qualifying (D1, L2).
- Scotland drew 1-1 in their only previous visit to Moldova in October 2004 (D1), as Steven Thompson cancelled out Serghei Dadu.
- Moldova have won just one of their last nine home matches in all competitions (W1, D3, L5).
- Lyndon Dykes has scored in each of Scotland’s last four matches in World Cup Qualifying.
- This is the first match involving Moldova and Scotland to be refereed by Srdan Jovanovic.
Moldova might not exactly have the finest form or defensive quality but they are a hard-working team who are capable of causing serious issues for opponents, especially at home which however is a concern with no home victories in their last nine matches.
Scotland though cannot afford to underestimate Moldova yet their performances can often be inconsistent, although they have found a knack for grinding out results with four consecutive wins so confidence will be high coming into this game but tactics will be key if they’re to wrap up a play-off spot here.
In fact, if Steve Clarke gets his tactics right and Scotland are able to break Moldova down given the Selectionata’s home form, I can see a solid away win coming the Tartan Army’s way.
Prediction: Moldova 0-2 Scotland
Result: Moldova 0-2 Scotland