Malmo welcome Chelsea to Eleda Stadion in Group H as the Swedish club look to keep their knockout qualification dreams alive in 2021-22 UEFA Champions League.
Victory would see Malmo remain bottom but move to within three points of second-placed Chelsea, although Thomas Tuchel’s Blues could move nine points clear of Malmo with a win.
Malmo have no fresh injury concerns to report as Felix Beijmo (collarbone), Oscar Lewicki, Jonas Knudsen and Ola Toivonen (all knee) remain ruled out.
Chelsea could welcome Mason Mount back into the squad after illness forced him to miss Saturday’s Premier League win at Newcastle.
Mateo Kovacic, Timo Werner (both hamstring) Christian Pulisic and Romelu Lukaku (both ankle) remain ruled out.
- Malmo are winless in three previous meetings against Chelsea in all UEFA competitions (L3).
- Chelsea emerged victorious in their only previous away trip to Malmo, winning 2-1 in first leg of their Round of 32 tie in 2018-19 UEFA Europa League.
- Malmo have won just one of their four previous home matches against English opposition in all UEFA competitions (W1, D1, L2).
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their three previous away matches against Swedish opposition in all competitions (W1, D2).
- Chelsea have avoided defeat in four of their last five matches refereed by Felix Brych (W4, L1).
Malmo come into this match in decent form since getting thrashed at Stamford Bridge a fortnight ago but have had to scrap their way to a draw and two wins, so I am expecting them to try and make life difficult for Chelsea if can tighten up their defence.
Chelsea’s main concern coming into this match surely has to be avoiding further injuries after losing Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner in their home leg, yet come into this match high on confidence especially after a patient but clinical away win at Newcastle which should stand them well here.
Now if Thomas Tuchel’s Blues can play the long game then I just can’t see this being anything other than a comfortable away win, such is the gulf in quality which was highlighted in the first leg.
Prediction: Malmo 0-3 Chelsea
Result: Malmo 0-1 Chelsea