Atalanta look to reignite their knockout qualification dreams in Group F as they host Group leaders – Manchester United at Stadio Atleti Azzurri d’Italia.
Victory could lift Atalanta to the summit of Group F, whereas Man Utd could extend their lead by as much as four points with a win.
Atalanta have no fresh injury concerns to report as Rafael Toloi (muscle), Berat Dijimsiti (hand), Robin Gosens (thigh), Hans Hateboer (foot) and Matteo Pessina (hamstring) are all ruled out.
Man Utd will have Paul Pogba available for this clash due to the midfielder’s suspension only applying to domestic matches.
Anthony Martial is a doubt as he continues to build up his match fitness as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer considers naming the same team that started Saturday’s Premier League win at Tottenham.
- Atalanta lost their first-ever meeting against Manchester United after suffering a 3-2 away defeat at Old Trafford a fortnight ago.
- Man Utd are playing away to Atalanta for the very first time in all competitions.
- Atalanta are unbeaten in two of their last three home matches in all UEFA competitions against English opposition (W1, D1, L1).
- United have lost just one of their last five away matches against Italian opposition in all UEFA competitions (W3, D1, L1).
- Man Utd have drawn their two previous matches refereed by Slavko Vincic in all UEFA competitions (D2).
Defending continues to be a huge issue for Atalanta with just one clean sheet in their last nine matches across all competitions, yet they were impressive with their running and set piece play at Old Trafford until they blew a two goal lead through slow reactive backtracking in their high defensive line.
Man Utd meanwhile applied relentless pressure throughout that match and were rewarded with a clinical second-half effort, yet have experienced mixed domestic fortunes since their clash at Old Trafford but they looked confident at Tottenham on Saturday so I am expecting them to really give this game a good fist.
Either way, it feels impossible to definitely rule out goals given the defensive issues within both teams but if Utd can play like they did at Spurs with clinical finishing and pressure application, I just can’t see them losing this.
Prediction: Atalanta 1-2 Manchester United
Result: Atalanta 2-2 Manchester United