Southampton look to claim a second consecutive home win as they welcome Burnley to St Mary’s Stadium.
Victory could see Southampton climb as high as 13th if Aston Villa and Crystal Palace both lose elsewhere, whereas Burnley can climb out of the relegation zone with a win if Leeds lose elsewhere and Newcastle fail to better their result.
Che Adams could return for Southampton if he passes a late fitness test after missing last weekend’s win over Leeds with a muscle injury.
James Ward-Prowse (suspension) and Jack Stephens (knee) remain absent.
Burnley could have Matej Vydra available for selection after he missed their 2-0 defeat at Manchester City last weekend with a back injury.
Charlie Taylor (knock) and Ben Mee (Coronavirus) could also be in contention but Dale Stephens (ankle) remains ruled out.
- Southampton have lost just two of their last seven meetings against Burnley (W2, D3, L2).
- Burnley are unbeaten in three of their last four league visits to Southampton (W2, D1, L1).
- Matej Vydra has scored in each of Burnley’s last two visits to Southampton (W1, L1).
- Mohamed Salisu has made more clearances than any other Southampton player this season, producing 28 clearances in eight league appearances.
- No Premier League player has been caught offside on more occasions in the opening eight matchweeks this season than Burnley’s Chris Wood, who was caught offside on 11 occasions.
Despite missing Che Adams and James Ward-Prowse last weekend, Southampton were surprisingly impressive against Leeds with such dominance in attack and not afraid to play out from defence when needed, which should stand them in excellent stead here against a solid Burnley team.
Sean Dyche’s Clarets though were wasteful of their chances at Manchester City last weekend, where they uncharacteristically were more threatening than in previous visits there yet poor defending at times proved their undoing despite a great all-round effort.
On that note, I am anticipating a competitive game here between two teams who can be impressive on their day, yet can be wasteful of their chances whilst often making defensive errors but Southampton look in better form so should just edge this clash despite recent home struggles against Burnley.
Prediction: Southampton 1-0 Burnley
Result: Southampton 2-2 Burnley