West Ham look to continue their strong start to their 2021-22 Europa League campaign as they welcome Genk to London Stadium in Group H.
Victory will see West Ham stay top of Group H and open up a six point gap over their Belgian opposition, whereas Genk could go top with a win over the Hammers.
Tomas Soucek is set to be available for West Ham despite suffering a facial injury in Sunday’s Premier League win at Everton.
Mark Noble (hip) and Vladimir Coufal (groin) are doubts but Ryan Fredericks (groin) and Alex Kral (Coronavirus) remain absent.
Genk could be without Simen JuklerØd due to an unspecified injury.
- This is West Ham’s first-ever meeting against Genk in all UEFA competitions.
- West Ham are unbeaten in their only previous home tie against Belgian opposition, drawing 1-1 against La Gantoise at Upton Park in October 1964 in 1964-65 European Cup Winners’ Cup.
- Genk have lost both of their two previous away matches against English opposition in all UEFA competitions (L2).
- West Ham have won both of their two group matches so far by 2-0 results with Declan Rice netting once in both matches.
- Only three of Genk’s 22 shots have been converted onto target in their opening two Europa League matches this season.
After enduring a tough domestic scrap at Everton on Sunday despite displaying excellent pressing across the box with clinical moves which eventually proved the difference, West Ham will certainly be confident coming into this game especially after their two comfortable wins so far in this group.
Genk meanwhile have serious issues with their end product because to put only three shots onto target out of 22 attempts is simply abysmal, although they do seem to play a passive possession based game which could well suit West Ham if Genk try and play on the front foot.
Finishing therefore will certainly be key here for both teams but if West Ham are able to play on the counter and punish Genk’s possession-based passive play, I can see another comfortable win coming which will be ideal for David Moyes’ Hammers heading into a congested winter.
Prediction: West Ham 2-0 Genk
Result: West Ham 3-0 Genk