Liverpool welcome Manchester City to Anfield in a blockbuster Super Sunday clash as two Premier League title contenders collide.
Victory will send Liverpool top of the Premier League heading into October’s international break, whereas Man City could go top themselves with a win.
Trent Alexander-Arnold is ruled out for Liverpool after missing their midweek Champions League away win at Porto.
Thiago Alcantara (calf) and Harvey Elliott (ankle) remain ruled out.
Man City have no fresh injury concerns to report after their midweek Champions League defeat at PSG as Oleksandr Zinchenko, Ilkay Gundogan (both knocks) and Benjamin Mendy (personal) remain absent.
- Liverpool have won just one of their last six league matches against Manchester City (W1, D2, L3).
- Man City have won just one of their last six league visits to Anfield (W1, D1, L4).
- Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has scored three goals in four league appearances against Man City at Anfield.
- All five of Mohamed Salah’s league goals this season for Liverpool has been scored on his left foot.
- Man City have had more touches on the ball in the opening six matchweeks than any other team, having produced 4,802 touches which is just 295 more touches than Liverpool have managed.
Having struggled to a 3-3 draw at Brentford last weekend purely down to messy defending despite delivering a dangerously creative attack, Liverpool certainly bounced back in Porto with a fantastic performance which will give them huge confidence heading into this clash.
Man City meanwhile will come here looking for a serious reaction after only putting seven of their 18 overall shots on target away at PSG in midweek, yet Liverpool’s defence is going to be just as difficult to break down if the Reds are on form despite looking vulnerable at Brentford.
Either way, this is set up to be a cracker and hasn’t been overhyped for once so I do foresee an exciting match between two attacking teams, although first goal will be key because I can see City shutting up shop if they get the opener but will definitely make a fist of this if they concede first.
Prediction: Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City
Result: Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City