Manchester United welcome Everton to Old Trafford in a tasty North-West derby as both teams look to move up to the summit of the Premier League.
Victory would send Man Utd for at least a few hours although Everton too can go top with a win until Saturday teatime at minimum, depending on how Chelsea fare against Southampton on Saturday mid-afternoon.
Luke Shaw is a doubt for Man Utd after missing their midweek Champions League win over Villarreal with a knock.
Harry Maguire (calf), Amad Diallo (thigh) and Marcus Rashford (shoulder) remain absent.
Everton have no injury concerns to report but Jordan Pickford is a slight doubt despite making an unexpected return from a shoulder injury in last weekend’s win over Norwich.
Seamus Coleman (hamstring), Richarlison (knee), Fabian Delph (shoulder), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (quad), Andre Gomes (calf) and Dominic Calvert-Lewin (muscle)
- Man Utd have won just one of their last five league meetings against Everton (W1, D3, L1).
- Everton are winless in their last seven visits to Old Trafford (D3, L4) without keeping a clean sheet.
- Utd’s Edinson Cavani scored in all three meetings against Everton last season across all competitions (W2, D1).
- Bruno Fernandes has converted just seven of his 23 shots in the Premier League onto target this season.
- 11 of Everton’s 12 league goals this season have been scored from inside the box.
Having delivered an uncharacteristic shaky yet rattled performance against Aston Villa last weekend, Man Utd didn’t show much improvement in midweek against Villarreal until the hour mark which makes this tough to call because there are clearly multiple performance layers to this Utd team.
Everton meanwhile were defensively excellent against Norwich last weekend with their wide players looking their greatest weapons at present, especially when going aggressive on the attack so I do expect Everton to try and counter-attack Utd here with the wide players looking key to their result.
Either way, this should be an interesting tactical battle given the recent dips of both teams but if Utd can build on their midweek comeback win, they should have enough to snatch victory here.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 Everton
Result: Manchester United 1-1 Everton