Newcastle United welcome Leeds United to St James’ Park in Friday Night Football as both teams look to move away from the relegation zone.
Victory will see Newcastle climb out of the relegation zone and up to 13th at Leeds’ expense, whereas Leeds can go 12th with a win ahead of the weekend’s action.
Ryan Fraser could return for Newcastle after recovering from an ankle injury which kept him out of last Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Manchester United.
Javier Manquillo, Ciaran Clark and Joe Willock (all knocks) are in contention.
Martin Dubravka (foot), Paul Dummett, Jonjo Shelvey (both calf) and Callum Wilson (thigh) are still ruled out.
Leeds will be without Pascal Struijk who is suspended after being sent off for a dangerous tackle on Harvey Elliott in last Sunday’s defeat against Liverpool.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in three of their last five Premier League meetings against Leeds (W2, D1, L2).
- Leeds have won two of their last five Premier League away trips to Newcastle (W2, L3).
- Jack Harrison scored in both meetings for Leeds last season with both of his goals coming after half-time.
- Newcastle’s Freddie Woodman has conceded more goals than any other Premier League goalkeeper in the opening four rounds, having conceded 12 goals in four league appearances.
- Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper and Patrick Bamford have all lost ten aerial battles apiece for Leeds this season, more than any of their teammates.
Although victory at Man Utd was always incredibly unlikely, Newcastle can be proud of their lively counter-attacking performances because they matched the Red Devils for most of the match until their defence just caved in
Leeds meanwhile were just simply outplayed by Liverpool despite excellent goalkeeping from Illan Meslier and a decent attack, yet were undone by poor finishing and what I felt was a lifeless defence at times so there is work to be done here.
I though do expect both teams to bounce back here but if Newcastle play like they did at Old Trafford but on the front foot and tighter in defence, it is hard to not see a home victory coming their way.
Prediction: Newcastle United 2-1 Leeds United