Rennes welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Roazhon Park in their opening Group G clash as the Group Stage of the maiden UEFA Europa Conference League season gets underway.
Victory will send either team top if they can better Mura’s result against Vitesse Arnhem elsewhere.
Martin Terrier is a major doubt for Rennes with a thigh injury suffered against Reims on Sunday.
Jeremy Doku also misses out with a hamstring injury.
Tottenham have no fresh injury concerns to report as Steven Bergwijn (ankle), Son Heung-min (calf), Eric Dier (leg) and Ryan Sessegnon (knock) remain ruled out.
Cristian Romeo, Giovani Lo Celso and Davinson Sanchez are still absent due to quarantine rules, after partaking in international duty in red-list countries.
- This is Rennes’ first-ever meeting against Tottenham in all competitions.
- Rennes have won two of three previous home matches against English opposition in all UEFA competitions, although they failed to keep a clean sheet on all three occasions.
- Tottenham are winless in three previous away trips against French opposition (D2, L1).
- Clement Grenier has been booked in Rennes’ last two home matches in European competitions.
- Spurs have failed to score in their last two away matches in all UEFA competitions, and haven’t failed to score in three consecutive UEFA matches since July 1995-November 1999.
Having kept just one clean sheet this season and lost their last two matches by 2-0 results, Rennes are in need of improvement if they’re to avoid spiralling into a slump because this match will certainly be a tough test of their quality.
After Saturday’ shocking performance in which their defence looked a massive mess and were impatient in attack, Tottenham need a huge effort here if they’re to quickly bounce back especially given their recent slip in European away form.
Either way, there is need for improvement from both teams here but if there is one team that has the ability to quickly bounce back, it is Spurs and if Nuno Espirito Santo names a strong team then I can see one result here.
Prediction: Rennes 0-2 Tottenham
Result: Rennes 2-2 Tottenham