Cristiano Ronaldo could make his blockbuster return as Manchester United welcome Newcastle United to Old Trafford.
Should Tottenham and West Ham lose elsewhere, victory could see Man Utd go top of the table.
Newcastle meanwhile can move further away from the relegation zone and as high as 12th with a win.
Cristiano Ronaldo could make his first appearance for Man Utd since May 2009 after re-joining the Red Devils from Juventus a fortnight ago.
Fred is suspended after Utd breached FIFA regulations by refusing to release him to join Brazil for this month’s internationals.
Jadon Sancho (knock) could be available but Scott McTominay (groin), Dean Henderson (fitness), Phil Jones (knee), Alex Telles (ankle) and Marcus Rashford (shoulder) remain absent.
Newcastle will be without Ryan Fraser after the winger suffered an ankle injury whilst on international duty with Scotland.
Isaac Hayden (knee), Paul Dummett (calf) and Callum Wilson (thigh) could feature if pass late fitness tests but Miguel Almiron is suspended after he wasn’t permitted by Newcastle to join up with Paraguay.
Martin Dubravka (foot), Karl Darlow (fitness), Elliott Anderson (hip) and Jonjo Shelvey (calf) are still ruled out.
- Man Utd have lost just one of their last six meetings against Newcastle (W5, L1).
- Newcastle are winless in their last six visits to Old Trafford (D1, L5), despite both teams scoring in their last four meetings in Manchester with Utd netting 14 goals to the Magpies’ five goals.
- Marcus Rashford has scored once in each of Utd’s last three matches against Newcastle, yet is ruled out of this clash with a shoulder injury.
- Newcastle have conceded twice in all three league matches so far this season (D1, L2).
- Ronaldo scored six goals in ten appearances against Newcastle in all competitions across his first stint at United between 2003-2009.
With Ronaldo set to make his return here, Old Trafford has the potential to feel like a volcano with an energetic crowd, although Utd will need to improve their finishing and defending after a scruffy performance at Wolves last time out.
Newcastle meanwhile will need to be at their very best but they can take heart from a solidified counter-attacking style, although their defending still seems vulnerable which is likely to be their biggest concern coming into this match.
This though is Utd’s to lose given their head-to-head form in this fixture but Newcastle will certainly make this a tougher contest than many expect, although it would be typical Ronaldo to roll up and deliver a winner like he has never been away.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 Newcastle United
Result: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United