West Bromwich Albion welcome Luton Town to The Hawthorns in the stand-out tie of the second round of 2021-22 Sky Bet Championship fixtures.
West Brom could climb into the top six with victory whereas Luton could go top with a win if Hull fail to win elsewhere or if they can outscore the Tigers on goal difference.
West Brom have no fresh injury concerns to report with Matt Clarke set to feature after a minor knock kept him out of their 2-2 draw at Bournemouth on the opening evening of the season.
Luton have no fresh injury concerns but manager, Nathan Jones is set to rotate his squad after making ten changes for Tuesday’s Carabao Cup exit against Stevenage on penalties, following a 2-2 draw.
- West Brom have lost just one of their last five league meetings against Luton (W3, D1, L1).
- Luton have won just one of their last five league trips to The Hawthorns (W1, D1, L3).
- The Baggies scored twice in both meetings against Luton in 2019-20 season (W2).
- West Brom have lost three of their first home games in each of last five seasons (W1, D1, L3).
- Luton have won just two of their five opening away matches in the last five seasons (W2, L3).
After twice fighting from behind to draw 2-2 at Bournemouth, West Brom will be confident of kicking on at home because they have shown that they have the grit and attacking ability to cause serious issues for opposition from set plays as well as open play.
Having made a dominant start in which they were made to slowly wait throughout the first half before ruthlessly delivering a clinical win over Peterborough, Luton will certainly be keen to continue that progress despite suffering an early Carabao Cup exit in midweek.
On that note, this promises to be an intriguing clash between two teams who definitely could be chasing promotion if they can continue to push on, although I have a feeling that West Brom could edge this with the home fans now back otherwise a draw would be a fair result.
Prediction: West Brom 1-1 Luton
Result: West Brom 3-1 Luton