Sheffield United welcome Carlisle United to Bramall Lane as the opening round of 2021-22 Carabao Cup continues.
The winners of this tie and several others elsewhere will join Bournemouth and Huddersfield in Round Two, after the latter pair played their opening ties in place of concluding pre-season fixtures.
Sheffield Utd have no fresh injury concerns to report from Saturday’s loss to Birmingham City, as Enda Stevens remains absent with an ongoing pelvis injury.
Carlisle are set to be without Zack Clough who withdrew from Saturday’s goalless draw against Colchester United with a hamstring injury.
- This is Sheffield United’s first-ever Carabao Cup meeting against Carlisle United, although both teams have won one apiece of two previous meetings in all cup competitions – albeit in FA Cup.
- Sheffield Utd are unbeaten in four of their last seven meetings against Carlisle United in all competitions (W3, D1, L3).
- Carlisle are winless in their last six trips to Bramall Lane in all competitions (D3, L3), with two of their three draws finishing goalless and all three defeats were by 1-0 results.
- In the last five seasons in which Sheffield United entered this competition at this stage, they were knocked out on two occasions in 2016-17 and 2018-19 seasons respectively.
- Carlisle have lost in Round One in just two of the last six seasons, exiting at this stage in 2018-19 and 20-21 seasons against Blackburn and Oldham respectively.
After Saturday’s shocking performance in which only two of 16 shots were fired upon goal and eight corners were wasted, Sheffield Utd really do need a strong performance here if they’re to try and give themselves some momentum as defeat to League Two’s Carlisle would be embarrassing for this team.
Carlisle were just as attacking in their match at the weekend but managed to turn six of 18 shots onto target, which is a considerable better stat than of the Blades so I do expect to see a competitive match between two likely attacking teams.
Squad rotation however will be key and having rested the likes of Jayden Bogle and Billy Sharp from the starting eleven at the weekend, I can see Sheffield Utd just having the edge here but this won’t be a pretty contest given the work that both teams need to do up front.
Prediction: Sheffield United 1-0 Carlisle United
Result: Sheffield United 1-0 Carlisle United