France Women meet England’s Lionesses at Stade Michel d’Ornano in an international friendly.
This match will mark England’s first away friendly under Hege Riise’s management since the Norwegian took charge in January.
Lyon’s Eugenie Le Sommer is in contention to start for France after missing February’s victorious friendlies against Switzerland after testing positive for Coronavirus.
Mylene Chavas, Wendie Renard, Charlotte Bilbault, Amel Majri, Sandie Toletti, Delphine Cascarino and Clara Mateo have all been snubbed through mixture of injury and selection decisions by Corinne Diacre.
England have no fresh injury concerns despite Esme Morgan’s late call-up on Tuesday to bolster Hege Riise’s selection options.
Nikita Parris has also been called up after receiving a negative result from her latest Coronavirus test, following an outbreak amongst Lyon players in recent weeks.
- France are unbeaten in three of their last five meetings against England in all competitions (W2, D1, L2).
- England are winless in their eight clashes against France as the ‘away’ team this century (D3, L5).
- France have scored 47 goals in their last 11 home games since late August 2019 (W9, D1).
- Lionesses have lost two of their last six away games (W3, D1, L2).
- Wendie Renard has scored three goals in France’s last two matches, defeating Switzerland in a two-legged home friendly in late February but isn’t in the squad for this game.
France enter this match in ferocious home form and with Corinne Diacre still in charge, I expect to see a sharp disciplined performance from the French who boast real variety in top talent from Amandine Henry to Valerie Gauvin for this game.
England enter this match off the back of a ruthless friendly win over Northern Ireland, yet this match will provide Riise with an insight into our actual quality when facing top opposition.
I therefore expect a tough game here because France do possess the ability to play either 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and are in strong goal scoring form, which will certainly pose difficult questions for England who will need discipline and sharp pressing if want to win here.
On that note, I think that we should see a draw here if England can get stuck in and make life tough for France but this should be closer than we might expect.
Prediction: France 1-1 England
Result: France 3-1 England