Manchester United welcome Manchester City to Old Trafford in a huge Manchester Derby as both teams look to boost their title ambitions.
With Leicester and Southampton not in action until Sunday, a win for either Man Utd or City will put them fourth in the table.
Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial could return for Man Utd after missing their midweek Champions League exit at RB Leipzig with minor injuries.
Phil Jones (knee) remains absent until after Christmas at earliest.
Man City could be without Ilkay Gundogan after the German midfielder missed Wednesday’s Champions League win over Marseille with a knock to his ankle.
Eric Garcia is also doubtful with a knock.
- Man Utd have won three of their last five league meetings against Man City (W3, L2).
- Man City have taken ten points from their last five league trips to Old Trafford (W3, D1, L1).
- Anthony Martial scored in both of the Red Devils’ wins in this fixture last season, with both of his goals coming in the first-half.
- City’s Riyad Mahrez has scored one headed goal this season compared to none in entirety of last season.
- 14 of Bruno Fernandes’ 30 shots this season have been on target, with 50% of those efforts on goal converted into seven goals.
Man Utd might be the king of comebacks domestically but that only applies to their away form, which does make me worry about their prospects coming into this fixture because their defence is just volatile, particularly in the first half which will suit City if they can turn up and deliver a strong performance.
Speaking of City, they have raised their game in the last fortnight and if they can continue that improvement here, I seriously can’t see past them getting them a win even if Utd deliver their usual second-half dominance of recent games as I can see a 2-2 draw under that scenario at absolute worst from perspective of City fans.
Add in the fact that this will be the first Manchester derby behind closed doors for possibly the first time then this should be a unique derby experience for both teams despite playing without crowds for six months, yet I don’t expect much of a difference because City should edge this encounter.
Prediction: Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City
Result: Manchester United 0-0 Manchester City