Brighton & Hove Albion welcome Portsmouth to the Amex Stadium in the concluding Second Round clash of 2020-21 Carabao Cup.
The winner of this South Coast derby tie will face Preston North End. at Deepdale in the Third Round next week.
Adam Lallana and Ben White are unlikely to feature for Brighton after suffering cramp and ankle injury respectively during Mondays 3-1 defeat to Chelsea.
Davy Propper however could feature if he can prove his fitness after a recent Achilles injury, whilst Florian Andone, Jose Izquierdo (both knee) and Christian Walton (ankle) are ruled out.
Portsmouth will be hoping to have Bryn Morris available despite the midfielder suffering a hip injury in Saturday’s goalless draw against Shrewsbury Town.
Alex Bass meanwhile is definitely absent with a bruised knock to his ankle.
- Brighton have won one of two previous League Cup meetings against Portsmouth (W1, L1), of which the Seagulls were at home on both occasions.
- Portsmouth are winless in their last nine trips to Brighton (D3, L6)
- Brighton have won each of their last three cup meetings against League One opposition, although just one of those three matches took place at the Amex.
- Portsmouth have lost each of their last three cup meetings against Premier League opposition, although only one of those three games saw Portsmouth play away from Fratton Park – losing 3-0 at Stoke in 2014-15 League Cup at this stage.
- Brighton have advanced from this stage in three of last four seasons, with their only loss during this run coming at this stage in August 2018 when lost 1-0 at home to Southampton.
Despite losing 3-1 on Monday to Chelsea, Brighton shouldn’t be downhearted because they were excellent going forward but just need to tighten up their man marking when out of possession.
Portsmouth meanwhile were simply unlucky against a stubborn Shrewsbury defence but maintained strong high pressure throughout and if they do the same here, we could very well have a scrappy battle between two solid teams despite being two divisions apart.
I however am going for a Brighton win because Portsmouth just seem to have a hoodoo against Premier League opposition in all cup competitions, which might just cost them here if the Seagulls are that extra clinical.
Prediction: Brighton 2-1 Portsmouth
Result: Brighton 4-0 Portsmouth