Southampton look to end an inconsistent season on a high as they welcome Sheffield United to St Mary’s Stadium.
Southampton could finish in 11th position if Everton fail to match their result as the Toffees take on Bournemouth, whilst Sheffield Utd realistically need a win to be assured of eighth place.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Jan Bednarek could be available for Southampton if he passes a late fitness test on a muscle injury, alongside Nathan Tella who has been recovering from an unspecified injury..
Sofiane Boufal (thigh) and Moussa Djenepo (calf) both remain absent.
Sheffield Utd could welcome Luke Freeman back from an unspecified injury if he passes a late fitness test.
Lys Mousset however misses out for personal reasons following the birth of his first child on top of various knocks.
- Southampton are unbeaten in three of their last five meetings against Sheffield United in all competitions (W2, D1, L2).
- Sheffield Utd have won just two of their last six trips to Southampton in all competitions (W2, D1, L3).
- Neither team have received a penalty in five previous Premier League meetings.
- Southampton are unbeaten in just two of their last five final day matches (W1, D1, L3).
- Sheffield Utd are unbeaten in four of their last five last day league games, despite conceding twice in each of their last four such matches (W2, D2, L1).
Southampton have finally found their attacking edge in the last month which had been inconsistent for much of pre-lockdown, but this will be a tough test because Sheffield United are a strong team when allowed to impose their preferred style.
I therefore am expecting a cracking game between these two teams because neither have nothing to lose from this game, and given that one final day match often throws up a surprise result then this might just be that particular game.
Prediction: Southampton 3-3 Sheffield United
Result: Southampton 3-1 Sheffield United